The white oak floors throughout the east wing of the building were restored to their original condition in the early 2000s.
Names of Ontario’s MPPs from each session of the Legislature since 1867 are engraved in marble on either side of the main lobby and behind the grand staircase.
Portraits of Ontario’s former Speakers line the walls of the main floor. Each Speaker receives a portrait painted by an artist of their choice following their term of office.
Cast iron columns support the ceiling and roof in this section of the building. The base of each column is decorated with a dragon motif.
A display case features a large piece of nickel weighing 500 kg from Sudbury, Ontario. Sudbury is home to the world’s largest nickel deposit, discovered in 1883.
A map of Ontario in the east wing shows the entire province. At just over one million square kms, Ontario is Canada’s second-largest province after Quebec.
East Wing Laylight
A stained glass laylight creates a colourful effect in the east wing. A laylight is composed of glass panels set flush with the ceiling, allowing natural light to flow through from skylights on the roof.
Symbols of Ontario
Ontario’s official symbols include the amethyst, the white trillium, the Eastern White Pine, the Coat of Arms, the provincial flag, and the official tartan.
Oak paneling known as wainscoting finishes the walls along each floor of the east wing. A glossy varnish on the wood was intended to help reflect natural light around the interior of the hall.
Prior to the 1950s, MPPs did not have offices in the building. Wardrobes such as this one were located near the Chamber and were used by MPPs to store coats and personal belongings while attending meetings of the Legislature.
Until the 1940s, each Speaker was given his chair as a gift for his service in the Chamber. Today, each Speaker receives his or her portrait instead. This chair was used by Speaker James Currie between 1871 and 1873.
Located at the end of the east wing is the Speaker’s Office. The Speaker presides over the debates in the Chamber, and is responsible for the policy and operations of the Legislative Assembly.
Glass sections that swing open above each door in the east wing – known as transoms – were designed to allow extra ventilation to offices as well as to maximize natural light flow into the hallways.
The handles on each office door are supported by a metal door plate decorated with a lion’s head and etchings of foliage.