John Graves Simcoe served as the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada (now Ontario) from 1791 to 1796. During his brief stay in the new colony, he established the court system, abolished slavery and opened settlement to areas north of York (now Toronto) by building Yonge Street.
Colonel John Graves Simcoe, J.W.L. Forster
© Government of Ontario Art Collection, Archives of Ontario