When architect E.J. Lennox redesigned the west wing after the 1909 fire, he added two additional floors to this part of the building, making the exterior asymmetrical. Ceilings throughout the new wing were rebuilt with ornamental blocks known as modillions.
Marble mosaic tile floors are found throughout the west wing. The tiles are laid over reinforced concrete - the material used to rebuild the floors in this wing after the 1909 fire.
Fixtures located throughout the Legislative Building flash and chime when meetings of the Legislature are taking place. They signal the beginning and end of daily sessions, and call MPPs to the Chamber to attend votes.
Display cases in both the east and west wings feature exhibits about Ontario’s parliamentary history and heritage as well as community exhibits from across the province.
The walls and columns of the west wing are finished with Italian marble. Marble was used as a fire proof wall finish when this wing was rebuilt after the 1909 fire.
Press conferences organized by MPPs or stakeholders from across Ontario are held frequently in the Media Studio.
West Wing Laylight
The laylight – a decorative interior window lying flush with the ceiling - in the west wing features Ontario’s Coat of Arms. It is lit naturally thanks to a skylight composed of glass bricks on the west wing roof.
E.J. Lennox, the Toronto architect hired to rebuild the west wing after the 1909 fire, chose Corinthian style columns for his interior design. Inspired by ancient Greek and Roman architecture, these columns feature elaborate detailing.
This large section of a silver vein was taken from the Keeley Mine near Cobalt, Ontario. It contains 24,211 troy ounces of silver.